Thursday, August 16, 2007

Grilled Tuna and Pappardelle Pasta with Wasabi Cream Sauce

The other night I was in the mood for tuna steak and remembered a terrific meal my husband had ordered in a restaurant when we first started dating. It was tuna steak with a side of pasta in a wasabi cream sauce. I'm not big on cream sauces (one or two mouthfuls and I'm full) but I decided to make a lighter version using low-fat milk.

The first night I grilled the tuna and served it on the side of the Pappardelle Pasta (wide egg noodles) with a big tossed salad and my soy dressing (see August 3rd post.) Yum. The next night, the pasta was a little dry, so I made a touch more sauce, added the pasta, cut the tuna into bite-sized pieces and threw it into the pasta, quickly heating. Delicious! Also had a big salad with soy dressing.

Pappardelle Pasta with Wasabi Cream Sauce
1 T butter, melted
8 ounces light milk
1 T wasabi powder
1 T flour
2-3 cloves garlic
Salt & pepper
Sauté garlic in butter, add flour and stir a couple minutes on low. Add milk and wasabi and stir until thickened. Salt & pepper to taste. Cook pasta a drain, reserving some liquid. Toss pasta with sauce and add some pasta water if necessary.

Grilled Tuna Steak with Sesame Seeds and Wasabi
4-6 ounces per person tuna
Sesame seeds (I like black for the color, but you can use any)
Wasabi powder
Salt & pepper

Mix dry ingredients. Rinse tuna and dry. Coat tuna on all sides with mix. Lightly coat fish with cooking oil (canola or olive) just before placing on hot grill. I like medium rare—about three minutes per side. Let sit a minute or two and slice.



For lots more recipes and more, go to: Harmonious Environment.

No comments: