Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Cajun Spice Mix

I'm a big fan of Cajun or blackened spices rubbed on meat or chicken. However, I got tired of constantly replacing small jars of the different blends, as I tend to use generous amounts of the spice mixes. Plus, those small jars are expensive! A couple years ago, I placed an order with Mountain Rose Herbs. for bags of spices in 4 and 8 ounce bags and mixed my own. I put the mixture in an airtight container and placed leftover spices (to be used separately) in another airtight container.

I use the rub on boneless chicken breasts: I cut into strips and roll chicken in mixture then cook it on a seasoned cast iron pan with a bit of olive oil. Then it gets placed on a big salad and is served with heated bread from a local bakery.

Fajitas
I will prepare the chicken the same way as above, and add some lemon juice for extra flavor just as chicken is cooked. Slice onions and peppers and cook either on cast iron pan or on the grill. Combine a good quality salsa with a mashed up avocado for a quick combo guacamole/salsa. Next, a bowl of refried beans with some cheese melted as another side. I take tortillas and heat them directly on my gas stove (you can also heat in oven) and place everything on table, where everyone makes there own fajitas.

I also use this Cajun mix on fish.

Cajun Spice Mix
1 cup Garlic Powder
1 cup onion powder
2/3 cup paprika
1/3 cup cayenne
2/3 cup oregano
1/3 black pepper
1/3 cup cumin
2/3 cup lemon peel
1/3 cup tumeric
salt

For lots more recipes and more, go to: Harmonious Environment.

No comments: