Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Fiddlehead Fern Recipe

I love fiddlehead ferns! Every year, I look forward to the few weeks that they are available. Just called White Plains, NY Whole Foods and they said they'd be available in 1-2 weeks. A local farmer may have them in your area. Keep your eyes peeled for them and try them if you haven't already.

Fiddleheads are earthy and nutty--a bit like a cross between asparagus, artichokes and yum. I like my fiddleheads with salt and butter only, but you can add garlic, red peppers, or lemon.

Lemon, optional
Butter or extra virgin olive oil

Trim stem down to 1-2" and remove any mushy parts. Soak and rinse several ties, to remove dirt.

Bring water to boil and cook 1 minute. Drain and rinse with cold water. Heat oil or butter in a saute pan, add fiddleheads and cook 5 minutes, or until they begin to brown. Salt to taste and lemon juice, optional.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Fantastic website, I hadn't noticed harmoniousenvironment.blogspot.com earlier in my searches!
Continue the fantastic work!