Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Reusable Tote bags

I have been using reusable tote bags for shopping for years now. I keep them in my car and just grab a bunch when needed. (I also keep one that folds into itself in my purse.) Aside from the obvious benefits of helping the environment by choosing reusable over plastic or paper bags, reusable totes are far stronger than throw out bags. Stronger means no fears of bags breaking and spilled stuff all over the place. If you live in a city and have to schlep bags any distance, this is especially convenient.

Up until the last few months, I rarely saw anyone else in the grocery stores with reusable totes. That is changing and fast! I can happily report that in my oh-so-suburban town about an hour north of New York City, it is now common to see people with their reusable bags.

Most of the grocery stores in my area give back a few cents for every reusable bag, and I think that's great, but the next step is to charge people for each paper or plastic bag they use, and eventually, ban throw-out bags altogether.

Go to Harmonious Environment website

No comments: