Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Chinese Cold Noodles and Sesame and Salad with Asian Style Dressing


Cold Noodles and Sesame on salad greens

The first time I had Chinese Cold Noodles and Sesame was in a Chinese restaurant in New York City in the early eighties. I was in college at the time and my boyfriend took me to this restaurant...it was my first experience eating anything spicy and I loved cold noodles immediately—even though it took me ages to eat the first few times, as my taste buds had to adjust to the spiciness.  
 
Eventually, I learned how to make them myself. Over the years, I have tweaked the recipe; it is quite different from the original--better, in my opinion. I like to serve it over salad with an Asian dressing to make a complete meal and to lighten it up a bit. I actually eat the dish warm--not cold--and like the way they make the salad greens wilt just a bit.  


Cold Noodles with Sesame Sauce
Serves 4-5 



1 pound Chinese-style dried noodle or spaghetti/fettuccine
2 tablespoons good quality peanut oil, like Loriva's roasted peanut 

6 cloves garlic, minced

1-2 tablespoons ginger, minced

3 tablespoon black and/or white sesame seeds

1/2 bunch scallions, chopped

1 cucumber, julienned or cut thinly
2 tablespoon San-J® All Purpose Szechuan Hot and Spicy Sauce

1 cup crunchy or smooth natural peanut butter

2 tablespoons soy or tamari sauce

1 tablespoon sesame oil

Hot pepper flakes to taste

Water
Cilantro, chopped for sauce, leaves for garnish



While heating water to cook pasta; sauté ginger, sesame seeds, scallion and garlic in peanut oil on low heat. Do not allow garlic to brown. Add remaining ingredients for sauce except cilantro and sesame oil, stirring well to combine. Add small amounts of water until you like the consistency—should be thin enough to coat the pasta easily. Taste the sauce, as you may want to add more of one or more ingredients. If it is too hot and spicy, add more peanut butter. Turn off heat and add chopped cilantro and sesame oil. Cook pasta, drain and return to pot; add the sauce. Embellish with cucumber, cilantro leaves and more sesame seeds Serve room temperature or warm. 

salad

Cold Noodle sauce

Asian Style Dressing and Salad

3 parts olive oil

1 part white rice vinegar

1 part soy sauce


crushed garlic

Pepper



Salad greens, like romaine, radicchio, thinly sliced kale

Combine dressing and toss with vegetables. Serve noodles on top of salad.

No comments: