There are numerous schools of Feng Shui, and what it entails. Generally speaking, not much is said about Feng Shui in the kitchen, and that’s too bad, because it is a very important room. When Feng Shui is discussed, it centers around the stove, and it is generally concerned with the direction or placement of the stove.
My advice is to consider the placement of the stove solely in relation to what works from a design and practical point of view.
The remainder of his article focuses on Feng Shui from and how it will make your kitchen flow well with good energy. The following will give your kitchen “Feng Shui.”
* Great layout. When appliances are positioned well, there is adequate counter space to work, and kitchen tools and dining ware are thoughtfully stored, you will have a great space in which to work.
* Appliances are in good working condition. Energy Star rated is even better, as these appliances are more energy efficient.
* There is appropriate lighting for cooking, eating, and any other activities that take place in kitchen.
* The kitchen sparkles with cleanliness. Bonus points for using non-toxic cleaning supplies! See my handy guide to non-toxic products. Keep refrigerator clean and have a container of baking soda inside to absorb odors.
* There is no clutter. Go through your drawers and cabinets and remove anything you don’t use. Donate, sell or recycle whatever you can.
* Organize your kitchen for maximum efficiency. Give everything a designated space. Extra points for facing cans, bottles and other food items faced forward and lined up, like in a grocery store.
* Replace non-stick pans, which are carcinogenic when heated, with cast iron, enamel and stainless pots and pans.
* Use great quality knives. Dull or inexpensive knives make cooking a chore. Good knives—I recommend Wusthof—will last a lifetime.
* Store and cook wholesome, natural, organic foods. Avoid food with preservatives and artificial colors.
Norma Lehmeier Hartie is the award winning author of Harmonious Environment: Beautify, Detoxify & Energize Your Life, Your Home & Your Planet. She is currently working on a book to help homeowners sell their property.